PREVIEW: Men’s soccer set to face Wright State in Canonsburg

By Alexis Davis, Contributor

CANONSBURG, Pa.– The Robert Morris men’s soccer team are back home for their next matchup against Wright State. The two teams are set to face off Tuesday, March 30 at 10 a.m.

The Colonials (1-4-1, 1-4-1 Horizon) and Raiders (3-3-1, 3-3-1) have faced off five times in program history, with the most recent game taking place on September 5, 2014, in Dayton, Ohio when the Colonials suffered a 2-0 loss. The Colonials have a 3-2-0 all-time record against the Raiders.

Recapping RMU

The Colonials are currently tenth in Horizon League standings, only ahead of IUPUI who have yet to win a game this season. The Colonials haven’t taken the field in over a week after their matchup against Detroit Mercy set for March 24 was canceled.

RMU’s last game was on March 18 against Northern Kentucky when they suffered a 2-0 loss. Despite having possession of the ball for a majority of the first half, the Colonials did not produce any goals and ended the game with only three shots on goal. After a few close calls for both sides, Northern Kentucky got on the scoresheet first in the 71’ after a nice cross from Sam Robinson made its way to a leaping Deryn Armstrong who beat Zolnierczyk into the upper right corner of the net, giving NKU a 1-0 lead. The Norse doubled their lead when Dylan Bufton knocked one past Zolnierczyk, giving NKU the 2-0 victory.

Scouting Wright State

The Raiders are in 6th place in Horizon League standings with a current record of 3-3-1. The Raiders are looking to get back in the win column after losing 2-0 to Green Bay on Wednesday, March 24. Wright State had two scoring opportunities early in the game when just three minutes into the match Joe Kouadio’s kick shot went just high of the net. Seconds later, Zion Beaton gave Wright State another scoring opportunity, but his shot just went wide to the left.

Ezau Millan got the first goal of the match in the eighth minute, giving Green Bay a 1-0 lead. Brayden McNitt had an opportunity to make it a tie game but his shot to the center of the net was saved by Green Bay keeper Jamison Yoder. After the two teams played scoreless throughout the rest of the half, Green Bay made it a 2-0 game when Bernard Assibey Rhule scored in the 58th minute.

Players to Watch

Bryan Akongo (RMU) – In RMU’s matchup against Northern Kentucky, Akongo lead the Colonials with four total shots and two on goal. The midfielder from London, England hasn’t scored yet this season, but if he continues to get some shots on goal it will only be a matter of time before he’s on the scoresheet.

Mike Zolnierczyk (RMU) – The Colonials might not have gotten the win against NKU, but the sophomore goalkeeper helped them stay in the game. Zolnierczyk made seven saves against NKU, who have only lost one game this season.

Zion Beaton (WSU) – A forward from Belleville, Michigan, Beaton lead the Raiders with seven shots, two of them on goal, against Green Bay. Beaton has registered five points this season and will be a player RMU’s defense will want to keep their eyes on.

Preston Manthey (WSU) – Manthey had the second most shots against Green Bay, tallying six. The forward from Las Vegas has yet to get a goal this season but has recorded three assists. To win, the Colonials will want to keep the ball from Manthey as much as possible.

I think that the Colonials are due for a win and will get the victory over the Raiders. I think they’ll win by a score of 2-1.