PREVIEW: Colonials look to get back in win column versus Drexel

Men’s lacrosse travels to Drexel this weekend. Photo Credit: Nathan Breisinger

By Ethan Morrison, Contributor

PHILADELPHIA– Robert Morris men’s lacrosse (3-4) looks to get back into the win column as they square off against Drexel (2-2, 1-2 CAA) Saturday at 4:00 p.m in the City of Brotherly Love.

Recapping the Colonials

RMU comes into this matchup with the Dragons after hanging in tough in their rematch of the 2019 NCAA Tournament first-round matchup against the no. 9 ranked Virginia Cavaliers, dropping the contest in Charlottesville by a score of 14-12.

However, don’t let the Colonials’ record fool you. Robert Morris has had a competitive schedule as an independent as they transition into the newly formed A-Sun conference in the 2022 season.

They have now faced three nationally-ranked opponents in games against no. 2 ranked Duke, where RMU fell 16-12 to open up their regular season, Notre Dame on February 27, losing in South Bend, Indiana 19-7, and then their most recent matchup against Virginia.

Scouting the Dragons

After dropping two of their first three games of the season, Drexel got back in the win column for the second time this season blowing out Lafayette 24-8 on Wednesday night. The Dragons look to make it two straight wins when they square off against Robert Morris Saturday afternoon.

Players to Watch

Ryan Smith (RMU) – The grad-student attackman from Burlington, Ontario has been the focal point of the Colonials offense this season, logging 39 points in seven games this season. He also scored 24 goals and 15 assists on the young season. In the game against Virginia, Smith recorded a hat-trick with three goals and two assists last Saturday.

Jimmy Perkins (RMU) – Now in his seventh year of eligibility, Perkins has been a major addition to the Colonials roster this season as he has 27 points on 16 goals and 11 assists. He also completed a hat-trick last Saturday against Virginia. Perkins will have to have another strong game to help propel the Colonials past the Dragons.

Ryan Genord (Drexel) – The senior midfielder/attacker leads the team in points with 17 on 10 goals and seven assists in four games on the young season. In the blowout victory versus Lafayette Wednesday night, Genord tallied four goals. He will have to bring the same energy Saturday against a talented Colonials roster.

Sean Donnelly (Drexel) – The redshirt-freshman attacker has made his mark for the Dragons this season, netting 10 goals and five assists on the young season. Donnelly looks to continue his dominance on the field Saturday afternoon.

With Robert Morris’ recent success against the top schools in the nation, they should have no problem handling Drexel on Saturday, defeating the Dragons 16-10.