PREVIEW: Golf starts season at Carpetbagger Classic

By Jonathan Hanna, Sports Editor

URBANA, Md.– After having their season canceled last March due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the Robert Morris golf team looks to get back into the swing of things at the Carpetbagger Classic at Worthington Manor Golf Club in Urbana, Maryland.

In their last event before their cancellation, the Colonials finished seventh of 13 teams at the Lonnie Barton Invitational. Robert Morris finished a combined +34, 23 strokes behind Fairleigh Dickinson.

Graduate student Kyle Grube finished in a tie for second at two-over-par. Grube, along with Matthew Schwab of Hartford shot the low round of the tournament with 68.

This weekend, the Colonials will tackle the Worthington Manor Golf Club, located just outside Frederick, Maryland. Worthington Manor is a 7,034-yard, par-72 course with plenty of undulation on the open fairways.

One hole to watch for is the 198-yard par-3 sixth hole. Considered the course’s signature hole, the sixth hole requires a precision tee shot to the green. Too short, and it ends up in the water, however, if offline, the ball can find one of four bunkers surrounding the green.

In 2020, Worthington Manor was placed ninth in Maryland’s “Best Courses You Can Play” by Golfweek for the 14th consecutive year.

As for the Colonials, they return all golfers from last season except for the graduating Max Palmer. Incoming freshmen to the team include Skyler Fox, Deven Stewart; Virginia Water, and England native Xavier Schwarz. Jerry Stone remains coach for the Colonials for the 20th year and 19th full season.