Thirteen players register a goal as women’s lacrosse rolls past Akron 15-4

Melanie Gandy and Julia Koterwas celebrate a goal against Akron. Photo Credit: Nathan Breisinger

MOON TOWNSHIP– After playing four-straight on the road, the Robert Morris women’s lacrosse team returned home for their Mid-American Conference home opener as they faced off with the Akron Zips.

For the second time this season, Robert Morris (6-2, 2-0 MAC) flexed their muscles in their new conference as they rolled past Akron 15-4 (3-3, 1-2).

Robert Morris also returned to their winning ways after their three-game road trip that saw them drop two out of three games. A part of that away stint, the Colonials opted to add a game against no. 4 Notre Dame, where they would fall 16-2.

Although the midwest road trip proved to be intense for the Colonials, they used it as a building block to prepare for their matchup against Akron and the rest of their season slate.

“We played everybody on our roster, and we were excited about that,” head coach Katrina Silva said. “I think once we go into one game a week, that experience will pay off.”

With the grueling non-conference segment of the season in the books, the Colonials turns towards a span of nine games in conference play. Visiting Joe Walton Stadium, RMU focused on Akron as they once again showcased their defensive ability against MAC opponents by stifling the Zips and only allowing four tallies.

“That’s one thing we are excited about,” Silva said. “We returned our starting defensive unit. You can see where our experience pays off. We look great on defense at times, especially when they do the schemes that we want to do.”

With the Colonials shutting down Akron’s offensive attack, graduate senior Katelyn Miller provided the last line of defense as she made six saves on the afternoon.

On the flip side of the field, Robert Morris produced one goal after another as they dominated against the Zips. 13 different players for the Colonials registered a goal, which is the most in a game this season.

“That’s what we wanted,” Silva said. “We wanted everyone on offense to be a threat, and that’s the goal we are making for ourselves. When you start looking down the sheet, and you’re saying, ‘hey, all these kids scored, all these kids have assists,’ that means our plans are working, and we are getting closer to the team we want to be.”

Throughout the season, the team has seen Mackenzie and Melanie Gandy, along with Clio Kerr, put together impressive performances, but today sophomore Jordan Anderson took charge as she registered three goals on the day, setting a single-game high for her.

“Jordan found a groove today,” Silva said. “She was inside, the outside kids were finding her, and we did a good job of mixing things up.”

As the women’s lacrosse team continues to find different players to step up during the course of the season, the freshmen have also found success on the field. Two freshmen added to the offensive production against Akron, including midfielder Gianna Anthony, who scored her first collegiate goal.

“It’s crazy, [Gianna] is so good. To be a freshman that we’re considering as a starter on our team with such a heavy group is exciting,” Silva said. “They’ve been putting in the work, and I think when it comes down to scoring a goal, they don’t want to get in anyone’s way. They are good enough and should be getting in people’s way and getting after it.”

Diversifying the scoresheet continues to be an aspect of the game for the women’s lacrosse team that will receive attention as they prepare for the second half of the season.

Up next for Robert Morris will be an away contest against Detroit Mercy on Saturday, March 20. Game time is at 3:00 p.m.