PREVIEW: Women’s lacrosse looks to get back in win column against Akron

Women’s lacrosse hosts Akron this week. Photo Credit: Tyler Gallo

By Nathan Roberts, Contributor

MOON TOWNSHIP– The Robert Morris women’s lacrosse team (5-2, 1-0 MAC) returns home to square off against fellow conference opponent Akron (3-2, 1-1). Robert Morris was victorious 18-4 when these two teams last met a year ago.

Recapping RMU

The Colonials are coming off a four-game road trip, going 2-2 in those four games. The most recent game was almost a week ago when they fell to the Cincinnati Bearcats by a score of 16-7. The Bearcats took advantage of early Colonial turnovers to give themselves an early 1-0 lead just 1:44 into the game.

Cincinnati was up 6-0 before Kelley Flynn put one in the back of the net for RMU. Redshirt senior Clio Kerr and grad-student Melanie Gandy each scored twice in the loss. The Colonials did outscore Cincinnati in the second half 4-3 but were unable to climb out of the first half deficit.

Scouting the Zips

Akron comes into this contest suffering a tough 9-8 loss to Kent State (1-4, 1-1 MAC), right after defeating Delaware State (0-3) 18-5. The Kent State game was back and forth for the most part until Kent’s Abby Jones scored late in the first to give the Golden Flashes a lead that they would go on to maintain. The Zips led with 21 shots on goal but also turned it over 24 times. The turnovers have been an ongoing problem for Akron this year.

Players to Watch

Clio Kerr (RMU) – Kerr scored two of the seven Colonial goals against Cincinnati and scored six in the win over Butler. On top of her 14 total goals, she has also tallied four assists. The redshirt senior has played a huge role in the success of RMU this season and will have to continue to do so the rest of the way.

Mackenzie and Melanie Gandy (RMU) – The twins from Baltimore have certainly made a name for themselves in their time at RMU. Together, they have a combined 54 points this year. The Zips need to know where each of the twins is when they are on the field, especially at the same time.

Alexis Kiefer (Akron) – Kiefer is the leading scorer for the Zips in 2021, with 14 goals. In the last two games, she has only one assist but can back it up with her eight total goals against Delaware State and Kent State. She will look to continue right where she left off in the upcoming game against the Colonials.

Kaylee Riggins (Akron) – The redshirt sophomore is second on the team in scoring with nine goals. She also scored two of the eight goals for the Zips against Kent State. Riggins has scored in each of the five games for Akron, with three multi-goal performances to boot.

I believe the Colonials will not struggle much in this one and get back in the win column. The final score will be 16-8 in favor of Robert Morris.