PREVIEW: Women’s soccer heads to Rochester for early-morning tilt against Oakland

Women’s soccer travels to Rochester in hopes of continuing their offensive surge. Photo Credit: David Auth

By Jonathan Hanna, Sports Editor

ROCHESTER, Mich.– Fresh off their first win of the season against Purdue Fort Wayne last Wednesday, the Robert Morris women’s soccer team looks to continue their winning ways against the Oakland Golden Grizzlies.

This will mark the Colonials’ (1-3, 1-3 Horizon) first-ever matchup against Oakland (2-2-1, 2-2-1), and just their third-ever game against a team from the Great Lakes State; as the Colonials faced off against the Central Michigan Chippewas in 2016 and 2017, losing both games.

Recapping the Colonials

Last Wednesday at the Southpointe Fieldhouse in Canonsburg, the Colonials put on an offensive showing, scoring four goals for the first time since November 1, 2019, against St. Francis Brooklyn as Robert Morris defeated Purdue Fort Wayne (2-2, 1-2) 4-2.

The four RMU goals were scored by Kayla Veloso-Lima, Brittany O’Connell, Ylexus Gilliland, and Sofie Lien Fagereng. Sophomore midfielder/forward Sheridan Reid added two assists as well.

Previewing Oakland

The Golden Grizzlies come into Wednesday’s matchup having won last week in the Motor City against Detroit Mercy (1-2-1, 1-2-1) by a score of 2-0. Early in the Horizon League season, Oakland sits sixth in the conference.

In their 2-0 win over the Titans, Carmela Barro and Alexa Sabbaugh scored in the win, and last weeks’ Nike #HLWSOC Defensive Player of the Week Noemi Stadelmann made three saves for her first shutout of the year.

Players to Watch:

Kaoru Hayashi (RMU) – Hayashi, a transfer from Snow College in Ephraim, Utah certainly wasn’t afraid to shoot the ball last week against Purdue Fort Wayne, as she led the Colonials with six shots, with three hitting the target. If the forward from Ama, Japan keeps shooting, rebounds and deflections are sure to give the Colonials an offensive boost.

Sheridan Reid (RMU) – Only a sophomore, Reid currently leads the Colonials on this young season with four points (1g, 2a). With her two assists coming against the Mastodons, she will want to keep her momentum going against the Golden Grizzlies.

Noemi Stadelmann (OAK) – Last weeks’ Nike #HLWSOC Defensive Player of the Week, the junior netminder from Arlesheim, Switzerland has not allowed a goal in her 135 minutes played, making for a tough wall for the Robert Morris attack to crack.

Sami Lopez (OAK) – The leading scorer for the Grizzlies with seven points on the year (1g, 5a), Lopez has a nose for the net and will be on the lookout for more on Wednesday.

Despite a tough battle, neither team will be able to pull out a win after 110 minutes of play, with the score at the final whistle being 2-2.