PREVIEW: Women’s lacrosse to fight the No. 4 Irish at Notre Dame

Women’s lacrosse will travel to Notre Dame on Saturday. Photo Credit: Tyler Gallo

By Samantha Dutch, Contributor

SOUTH BEND, Ind.– Robert Morris women’s lacrosse is on an impressive winning streak, finding victory in all of their games up to this point (4-0, 1-0 MAC). They are ready to tackle a recently added team to their schedule, the no. 4 Notre Dame Fighting Irish (1-0). RMU will meet the Fighting Irish for the first time on Saturday.

Recapping RMU

No flaws can be seen in the Colonials’ perfect record of all victories. They prove to be cruising right along, sitting comfortably at the top of the leaderboard. On Wednesday, the team had an 18-3 victory over Kent State, which was their first MAC win. Eleven different players recorded goals against the Flashes, including hat-tricks from Clio Kerr and Kelsey Nelson. The Gandy twins had eight total assists, sharing the love and making connections with their teammates.

Their three previous matchups were comprised of victories over Liberty (9-8), Fresno State (18-13), and Gardner Webb (12-9).

Scouting Notre Dame

Notre Dame opened their season against Vanderbilt on February 13, coming out on top with a 19-5 victory. Samantha Lynch and Kasey Choma led the pack, each netting five goals inside Loftus Sports Center.

Also scoring were Jessi Masinko with four markers, and Madison Ahern with five. Freshmen Keelin Schlageter and Kelly Denes both recorded their first career goals. The Fighting Irish held a record of 14-5 in 2019, with the majority of their losses being close scores.

Players to Watch:

Clio Kerr (RMU) – The redshirt senior led in points scored in RMU’s previous game against Kent State, and up to this point, she has ten points and has caused three turnovers. Kerr ranks second all-time in draw controls at 205.

Kelsey Nelson (RMU) – The Colonial midfielder teamed up with Kerr to put RMU in an early 2-0 lead on Wednesday. She has seven points this season, including five goals.

Kasey Choma (ND) – Last year as a freshman, the midfielder scored a team-high 22 goals in seven contests and finished tied for second on the team with 23 points. Most recently, Choma scored five goals against Vanderbilt.

Samantha Lynch (ND) – Recently named ACC Offensive Player of the Week and one of the six captains for Notre Dame, Lynch is a crucial part of the team’s offense. In the team’s season opener, she matched her career-high with seven points.

Robert Morris will keep their winning streak alive over Notre Dame, with a closer result of 8-6.