PREVIEW: Women’s lacrosse travels to Kent State for first road trip of season

Women’s lacrosse will play their first MAC contest against Kent State on Wednesday. Photo Credit: Tyler Gallo

By Nathan Roberts, Contributor

KENT, OHIO– The Robert Morris women’s lacrosse team (3-0) will open the first of a three-game road trip in Kent, Ohio as they take on the Golden Flashes (0-2) for their first MAC game of the year. The last time these two fellow conference opponents met, the Colonials won comfortably by a score of 18-7.

Recapping RMU

The Colonials are off to a strong start on the young season. They are perfect thus far, as they added to that perfect record with a 12-9 win over Gardner-Webb (2-1) on Sunday afternoon. After a slow start, the Colonials found their footing thanks in part to a Jordan Anderson goal at the 15:23 mark of the first.

Mackenzie Gandy was big in this one, scoring six goals and earning her second consecutive double hat-trick. RMU took advantage of Gardner-Webb’s miscues to quickly shift the momentum back in their favor. Trailing 7-3 early in the second, a goal by Melanie Gandy sparked an 8-0 run for RMU and there was no looking back after that.

Scouting Kent State

Kent State opened their season last Friday at home against Fresno State (1-3), losing by a score of 20-11. Abby Jones led the way for the Golden Flashes with a four-goal performance. Sophomore Kenzie Sklar was right behind with three goals of her own.

The Golden Flashes suffered their second loss of the season on Sunday against Marquette after coming out of the gates strong. Junior Madison Rapier was the leading scorer with three goals for Kent State in a 19-8 loss. A problem for the Golden Flashes this season has been the turnovers. Kent State has turned it over 37 times this season compared to their opponents’ combined total of 28.

Players to Watch

Mackenzie Gandy (RMU) – Gandy has been solid for the Colonials this season, with 14 goals in three games. In the game against Fresno State, she set a new program record with 180 career points. Mackenzie is also fresh off a six-goal game against Gardner-Webb. She has made her presence known this season and would like to do the same against Kent State.

Melanie Gandy (RMU) – Like her sister, Melanie has been just as good for the Colonials this season. She does a great job of seeing the field, considering she has assisted on ten Colonials goals along with scoring four of her own. Kent State will still have to pay close attention to her on Thursday.

Abby Jones (KSU) – The junior is one of two players tied for the most goals on the team with five in two games, and leads the team with six points total. Her best performance came against Fresno State when she scored four goals and ended with one assist. Her other goal was scored against Marquette in a tough loss. Jones has the potential to rack up another big performance on Thursday if she is given enough space to work with.

Madison Rapier (KSU) – The Ohio native is the other player on the roster with five goals and tied for most on the team. In their two games played, she netted two against Fresno State and three against Marquette. She will need to add to that total if the Golden Flashes want to come out on top against the Colonials. Keep in mind that Rapier tied a career-high in goals in 2020 with eight, and was named to the ASUN All-Freshman Team in 2019.

I think the Colonials have little trouble in this one and take it 15-8. They are riding a wave of momentum and that wave will only get bigger after Thursday. Everything seems to be clicking for Robert Morris and I do not expect that to change.