PREVIEW: Women’s lacrosse continues homestand as Gardner-Webb comes Runnin’

Women’s lacrosse continues their homestand by hosting Gardner-Webb. Photo Credit: Tyler Gallo

By Jonathan Hanna, Sports Editor

MOON TOWNSHIP– After winning their first two games of the season at home, the Robert Morris women’s lacrosse team looks to continue where they left off as the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs come to town on Sunday.

Robert Morris (2-0) and Gardner-Webb (2-0) have met once before, with the Colonials winning big, beating the Runnin’ Bulldogs 20-8 on March 13, 2019 at Joe Walton Stadium. Melanie Gandy had six goals in the win, and the Colonials dominated in the ground ball game, 42-18.

RECAPPING RMU

The Colonials started their season on Sunday as they hosted the Liberty Flames (1-2), winning a defensive affair 9-8. Melanie and Mackenzie Gandy combined for six points (3g, 3a), and senior attack Kelley Flynn added two goals as well.

In Tuesday’s matchup against Fresno State (1-2), it was the Mackenzie Gandy show, as she scored six goals herself in the 18-13 win. Gandy’s first goal of the game, scored on a free position attempt, marked her 180th career point in a Colonials’ uniform, passing Ashley Levering (2006-09) for most all-time.

PREVIEWING GARDNER-WEBB

Gardner-Webb started their season on Monday as they hosted the Wofford Terriers (0-2), winning 19-6. Three different players had hat tricks or better, with Jada Preston scoring five goals, and Hannah Smith and Talen Francis both netting four.

On Friday, the Runnin’ Bulldogs traveled to the Rubber City to take on Akron. Gardner-Webb was able to double up on the Zips 16-8. Talen Francis scored five goals in the win, while Kathleen Mackey made nine saves

A RAINY AFFAIR

After relatively nice weather for their games against Liberty and Fresno State, it seems that may change for Sunday’s matchup. Despite a projected high of 59°F, there is also a 90% chance of rain, which will make for a wet and muggy affair on Sunday.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Mackenzie and Melanie Gandy (RMU) – Rather than separate the Gandy twins, it makes sense to combine them, as either twin could be absolutely lethal to opposing defenses. On the season, the sisters from Baltimore have combined for 10 goals and 8 assists. In their only meeting against Gardner-Webb back in 2019, Melanie Gandy scored six goals in the 20-8 victory.

Talen Francis (GWU) – In only two games with Gardner-Webb this season, Francis; a senior from Kennesaw, Georgia, has nine goals and four assists on the year to lead the Runnin’ Bulldogs.

Kathleen Mackey (GWU) – Although a good offense is helpful in lacrosse, a solid goaltender will always help keep games close. Mackey, a freshman, currently sits in 16th in the NCAA with a .533 save percentage. Through two games this season, Mackey has allowed 14 goals.

PREDICTION

Gardner-Webb will be unable to run with the Colonials, and Robert Morris will continue their winning streak; winning at home by a score of 17-9. Melanie and Mackenzie Gandy will combine for seven points in the win.