PREVIEW: Colonials head back to Motown to take on Titans

Men’s basketball will clash with Detroit Mercy for the third consecutive game in their opening matchup of the Horizon League playoffs. Photo Credit: Ethan Morrison

By Ethan Morrison, Contributor

DETROIT– Robert Morris (4-14, 3-12 Horizon) will face off in the third-straight game against Detroit Mercy (11-9, 10-6) but this time it will be in the first round of the Horizon League Men’s Basketball Tournament Thursday at 7:00 p.m. at Calihan Hall on ESPN+.

Recapping the Colonials

Is the third time the charm? After dropping two games to Detroit Mercy last weekend, RMU has their back against the wall going up against the Titans on Thursday as they look to keep their season alive with a win on the road in the conference tournament. There is hope, however, as Robert Morris fought hard in both games but ended up on the losing end of both this past weekend. The key for this game is that RMU needs to play a full 40 minutes if they want any shot of advancing to the quarterfinals.

Scouting Detroit Mercy

After a rough start to their conference slate, dropping their first four games, the team has won 10 of their last 12 games including an 85-74 victory on Friday night and a come-from-behind win on Saturday, beating the Colonials 80-61. Detroit Mercy is in a good position to move onto the quarterfinals with a win Thursday night against Robert Morris.

Players to Watch

Dante Treacy (RMU) – Even though Treacy has fallen off after his MVP performance in the NEC Championship game in 2020, now is the best time for the junior to step up in a win-or-go-home game. The Orlando, Florida native is averaging just under seven points-per-game this year and logged seven points in both games against the Titans last weekend.

Jon Williams (RMU) – Williams is playing some of the best basketball of his collegiate career this season after averaging just above six points-per-game in his first three years as a starter. He has pumped up the jets and is averaging now 10 points-per-game. He also logged 14 points in the loss Friday night against the Titans while shooting an even 50-percent from beyond the arc.

Noah Waterman (DET) – The freshman has been a thorn in the Colonials’ side as he is averaging 20 points in two games against Robert Morris thanks to a successful weekend. On the year, he logged a respectable 11 points-per-game while shooting an impressive 51-percent from beyond the arc, an unfathomable number for a 6-foot-11 forward.

Antoine Davis (DET) – Davis is averaging 23 points-per-game this year and scored 26 and 29 points, respectively, in his two games against the Colonials last weekend. RMU will have to be wary of Davis on the court on Thursday night.

Well, because most of my predictions have been wrong this year, I will leave you with this… anything can happen in the playoffs.