PREVIEW: RMU reschedules matchup against RIT to Wednesday

Women’s hockey takes on RIT Wednesday. Photo Credit: Nathan Breisinger

By Cameron Macariola, Contributor

ROCHESTER, N.Y.– After having their weekend series against RIT (1-11, 1-11 CHA) postponed due to COVID-19, Robert Morris women’s hockey (10-5-1, 10-5-1 CHA) has rescheduled the matchup and are set to face off against the Tigers on Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. in Rochester. The Colonials look to sweep the season series, if there is no more rescheduling, and solidify their spot in second place in the CHA standings.

Recapping RMU

The Colonials are coming off of a big win against I-79 rival Mercyhurst (6-5-1, 6-5-1 CHA), defeating them by a score of 3-2. This win was big for RMU as they were on a three-game skid, losing to Mercyhurst in Erie and the weekend series against Penn State (13-1-2, 13-1-2 CHA) just prior. The Colonials hope to keep the momentum to defeat the young Tigers once again.

Scouting RIT

The Tigers are young and they’ve been learning a lot from this season. The last time the Tigers took on RMU they sent out eight freshmen. Being this young may attribute to some of their offensive woes.

The Tigers have only scored six goals in their twelve total games, and have not had a game with more than two goals scored yet. One bright side of the team is they have had some close games against top teams. They made Penn State fight for a victory as they only lost by a score of 2-0, and their only win is against Mercyhurst who have beaten RMU before.

Players to Watch

Lexi Templeman (RMU) – Templeman’s stellar senior season has not gone without acknowledgment as she was put on the ballot for the Patty Kazmaier Award. One of the biggest highlights of her career was against RIT as she recorded a natural hat-trick in just the first period. Look for her to lead the Colonials to victory once again.

Leah Marino (RMU) – Marino’s best games this season came against the Tigers where she had a goal and two assists on the weekend. I’d expect her line to get a lot of ice time and don’t be surprised if you see her name on the score sheet once again.

Sydney Antonakis (RIT) – Antonakis may not be seen on the scoresheet yet, but she was one of the best Tigers on the ice when they traveled down to the Island as she had many high-quality chances. The Tigers may not have many chances to solve the RMU goaltending, but chances will probably be coming off of Antonakis’s blade.

Tori Haywood (RIT) – The Tigers may not have scored that much this year, but most of their goals have one thing in common, Haywood was a part of it. She did not participate in the two games against the Colonials last time they met. If the Tigers want to make it a close game like they have made it against Mercyhurst and Penn State, Haywood will have to lead the way.

RIT has had a rough season, not just due to COVID-19, but a lot of tough losses. They’ve lost close games by scores of 2-0, 2-1, and 3-0, but they have also been blown out, like both games against RMU where they lost 5-0 and 7-0.

This game all comes down to how RMU plays. If they come in with a strictly business mentality like they did last time against the Tigers they should win handily. If the Colonials don’t come prepared they could get a little scare, but expect them to walk away with the win. My score prediction is 6-0.