PREVIEW: Women’s soccer looks to score first victory against Saint Francis

Women’s soccer takes on Saint Francis on Wednesday. Photo Credit: David Auth

By Samantha Dutch

CANONSBURG, Pa.– Robert Morris (0-2) is taking on former Northeast Conference foe Saint Francis on February 17 at 1:00 p.m. The matchup was scheduled in place of their originally scheduled opponent, IUPUI. The Jaguars’ program has paused team activities due to a confirmed case of COVID-19 among the team’s personnel.

Recapping RMU

Robert Morris is returning to the field after their 1-0 loss against Northern Kentucky on February 10 in the 104th minute of double-overtime. They put up a well-fought battle against the Vikings, totaling 13 shots and having a strong defensive game. Neither team placed a goal on the scoreboard until the second overtime when Northern Kentucky was able to successfully find the net. The final score was an improvement to their previous game, where they opened the season falling 5-1 to Milwaukee on February 3.

Scouting Saint Francis

This is the first game for Saint Francis this season, going outside of their NEC realm that is scheduled to begin in March to take on former conference opponent RMU, now of the Horizon League. The team was picked to finish in last place, ninth out of nine teams, in the NEC preseason poll. In 2019 they had a record of 7-9-1. RMU and Saint Francis previously met on October 18, 2019, where Saint Francis took the win with a score of 2-1.

Players to Watch

Haleigh Finale (RMU) – Assisting the sole RMU goal of the season thus far, freshman Finale starts off strong proving herself to be a valuable addition to the team by always working to create plays and put the ball in the net.

Kaoru Hayashi (RMU) – Starting strong, Hayashi has three shots so far this season with two being on net. The Snow College transfer could be useful in placing strong pressure on Saint Francis’s defense.

Leanna Choo (SF) – Choo is a junior forward for Saint Francis who in her freshman year was named to the NEC All-Rookie Team. Within her two years, she saw action in the majority of games with three goals and six assists.

Aubrey Suydam (SF) – In her sophomore and junior years, Suydam was part of the NEC Second Team All-Conference, and the All-Rookie team her freshman year. She is a strong defender with some midfield skills as well, even scoring a pair of goals.

Robert Morris will win 2-1 in overtime against Saint Francis.