Football placed to finish tied for fourth in Big South preseason poll

Football was picked to finish fourth in the Big South preseason coaches’ poll. Photo Credit: David Auth

After three consecutive 2-9 seasons dating back to 2016, the Robert Morris football team finished the 2019 season on a high note and will look to continue their newfound momentum into a brand new conference for the 2020-21 spring season.

The Colonials finished 7-5 overall and an impressive 6-1 in Northeast Conference (NEC) play after two straight seasons without a conference victory.

With RMU transitioning out of the NEC in all registered sports, the team needed to find a new home and did so as a member of the Big South, projected to finish tied for fourth in the conference with Gardner-Webb in the Big South Preseason Poll with 16 points.

The ranking places the Colonials at the bottom of the standings, with only five programs opting in to participate in the abbreviated spring season.

Former NEC foe and defending champion Monmouth received six first-place votes and leads the power rankings by one point (44) over Kennesaw State (43 points). The Owls received three first-place tallies, with Charleston Southern rounding out the last first-place vote cast and manning the middle of the standings at third.

Head coach Bernard Clark will guide the program into the Big South in his third season, ushering in a new era of Colonial football after establishing a strong identity in 2019.

RMU will kick-off their 2021 spring season in Harrisonburg, Virginia against James Madison at noon on Saturday, February 27.