PREVIEW: Women’s hockey looks to snap losing streak against Mercyhurst

Women’s hockey will attempt to snap their losing streak on Tuesday with a matinee against Mercyhurst. Photo Credit: Nathan Breisinger

By Cameron Macariola, Contributor

NEVILLE TWP– The Robert Morris women’s hockey team (9-5-1, 9-5-1 CHA) is in the midst of a three-game road losing streak, but the Colonials will look to get back in the win column as I-79 rival Mercyhurst (6-4-1, 6-4-1 CHA) comes down to Neville Island for a matchup Tuesday afternoon.

Recapping RMU

RMU is coming off a tough two-game series against CHA-leading Penn State (11-1-2, 11-1-2). In game one, the Colonials fought hard but came up just short. They got on the board first with a goal from Gillian Thompson in the second period, her first career goal, but that’s all they could put past PSU goalie Josie Bothun. Game two was just like game one. The Colonials scored first with a goal from Ellie Marcovsky. In the second period, Penn State’s offensive abilities were awoken as they put three goals past Kirk who had a phenomenal weekend. The Colonials did tie the game at two with a goal from Anjelica Diffendal, but a late goal from Penn State put the Nittany Lions out of reach. Penn State did tack on a late empty-net goal to make it a 4-2 final.

Scouting Mercyhurst

While Robert Morris is in the midst of a three-game losing streak, Mercyhurst is in the middle of a three-game win streak. Their last outing was against Syracuse (3-8-1, 3-6-1 CHA) where they defeated the Orange by scores of 5-2 and 2-1, respectively. Mercyhurst also defeated the Colonials last Tuesday on home ice where they won by a score of 4-2.

Players to watch

Anjelica Diffendal (RMU) – Diffendal has found her way to be on the scoresheet many times this season. She has had two goals and an assist in her last three games with one even coming against the Lakers. If she can keep putting the puck past the Lakers, the Colonials could get back in the win column.

Joelle Fiala (RMU) – Fiala has had a good sophomore season so far with one goal and five assists. She can be an unexpected hero for the Colonials, so keep an eye out for her or any other unexpected heroes to come out of the game.

Sara Boucher (‘Hurst) – Boucher carried the Lakers to their victory over the Orange last Saturday as she scored both goals in the 2-1 game. If the Colonials don’t stop her offensive abilities, Mercyhurst will win the season series.

Emily Pinto (Hurst) – Pinto, just like Boucher, had a two-goal game last weekend. With the Lakers’ offense clicking, the Colonials can’t give her any room to repeat her performance last weekend.

Predictions

This series between RMU and Mercyhurst has not disappointed, but unfortunately, this will be the last meeting of the regular season. The series is currently tied with both teams being 1-1-1. The last time these two met, the Colonials took six penalties while Mercyhurst took four, so look for the power play to play a key factor in the game. Both teams have elite offenses so expect a good amount of goals on Tuesday. I think RMU defends their home ice and wins by a score of 4-3.