PREVIEW: Men’s soccer takes on Cleveland State

Men’s soccer hosts Cleveland State this weekend. Photo Credit: David Auth

By Alexis Davis, Contributor

CANONSBURG, Pa.– The Robert Morris men’s soccer team (0-1, 0-1 Horizon) travels to their home away from home in Canonsburg at the SouthPointe Fieldhouse for their first home game against Cleveland State (0-1, 0-1 Horizon) on Wednesday at 1 pm. The last matchup between the two teams was September 4, 2019. The Vikings were able to shut out the Colonials and record a 4-0 victory.

Recapping RMU

Robert Morris dropped the opening game of the season last Thursday, falling 5-0 to Oakland (1-0, 1-0 Horizon).

After Oakland got on the board early, the Colonials had two promising scoring chances, a free-kick and a kick-off from the corner, but nothing came out of it and the Colonials continued to trail 1-0. Robert Morris remained scoreless the rest of the game, giving Oakland the 5-0 victory.

The Colonials struggled offensively, only registering one shot on goal the entire game.

Scouting Cleveland State

Cleveland State is also heading into the match looking for their first win of the 2021 season after suffering a 2-1 loss to Green Bay (1-0, 1-0 Horizon). The Phoenix got on the board first, motivating the Vikings to answer with a goal themselves just 11 minutes later.

Green Bay had a huge opportunity to take back the lead as CSU’s goalkeeper was out of position. Redshirt sophomore center back Saahb Kular got his body in front of a shot coming from the goal line just in time, knocking away what definitely would’ve been a goal, later forcing overtime.

The Vikings led all of regulation with a 14-12 margin in shot attempts. After an uneventful first overtime, Green Bay was able to take advantage of a Cleveland State giveaway and get the 2-1 win in overtime.

Players to Watch

Jon Faynik (RMU) – The forward recorded the only Colonials shot on goal in last week’s loss against Oakland. A freshman from Duluth, Minnesota, Faynik helped his high school, Denfield, to the Minnesota state tournament in two of three seasons. In his sophomore year, he recorded 22 goals for Denfield. Faynik will be a huge part of the Colonials offense this upcoming season.

Riccardo Rota (RMU) – Rota was RMU’s leading scorer of the 2019 season with four goals and eight total points. I think that although Rota did not register any shots on goal against Oakland, once he gets going, it will be hard for defenses to slow him down.

Omeed Naeemy (CSU) – A sophomore goalkeeper, Naeemy kept CSU in the game against Green Bay after registering seven saves. Naeemy will be a key part of the Vikings’ effort to shut out the Colonials.

Bojan Kolevski (CSU) – The freshman forward led the team in shots on goal with two. Although he was unable to register a goal, he had some really good chances against Green Bay and will be trouble for the Colonials.

I think the Colonials will fall to Cleveland State 2-0. I think that Robert Morris will have good chances offensively but will struggle to get on the board.