PREVIEW: Women’s soccer looks for their first win against Northern Kentucky

Women’s soccer hosts Northern Kentucky on Wednesday. Photo Credit: David Auth

By Anna Milyak, Contributor

CANONSBURG, Pa. – Robert Morris (0-1) is set to take the field for the second time this season and face off against Northern Kentucky at the Southpointe Fieldhouse in Canonsburg. The teams last met on September 18, 2016, when NKU defeated the Colonials 2-0.

Recapping RMU

Robert Morris is coming off a 5-1 loss to Milwaukee on February 3 when the Panthers went up 4-0 in the first 45 minutes. Despite the rocky start, the Colonials were able to slow Milwaukee in the second half giving up just one goal as well as putting themselves on the board with a goal scored by sophomore Sheridan Reid, assisted by Haleigh Finale. The team proved that they have a lot of fight and will continue to battle as the season continues. The Colonials need to build off the lessons learned in this tough loss and start strong against NKU.

Scouting NKU

This will be the first game of the season for the Norse after their season opener against UIC was canceled due to COVID-19 issues within their program. The team was tabbed to finish fourth in the Horizon League preseason poll. Northern Kentucky is coming into the season having lost the 2019 Horizon League Player of the Year Shawna Zaken. The midfielder led the team with 13 goals, almost half of the 27 total goals the Norse scored in 2019. They’re also without Ally Perkins, the forward who was second on the team with five goals last season.

The Norse are returning several key defenders including senior Megan Patrick, as well as juniors Chloe Mills and Lily Menssen. Another key piece to the NKU team is junior goalie Mimi Stines, who set the single-season record for saves (97) in her sophomore season. The team is also confident that many of the freshmen joining the program will have an impact on the field.

Players to Watch

Sheridan Reid (RMU) – Reid came through for the Colonials in the second half against Milwaukee putting the team on the board. She had five goals and three assists last season for a total of 13 points. The Colonials need her to be a consistent scorer to succeed.

Kayla Veloso-Lima (RMU) – Although she was quiet during the season opener, Veloso-Lima played in 17 games her freshman season scoring four goals and two assists. Robert Morris is hoping she will play a big role on the field this season.

Kailey Ivens (NKU) – The senior forward started 17 games for the Norse in 2019 recoding two goals, and a team-leading seven assists. Ivens has big shoes to fill following the departure of Zaken and Perkins and is expected to play a big role in leading the team.

Lindsey Meyer (NKU) – In her freshman season, Meyer started ten games including each of the last nine. She recorded three goals and two assists for a total of eight points.

Robert Morris will fall to Northern Kentucky 4-2.