PREVIEW: Colonials look to get back on track against Penguins

Men’s basketball hosts Youngstown State this weekend. Photo Credit: Tyler Gallo

By Ethan Morrison, Assistant Sports Editor

MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa.– Robert Morris (3-9, 2-7 Horizon) looks to get back into the win column for the first time in over a month as they take on Youngstown State (8-10, 4-10) on February 5-6 at the UPMC Events Center.

Recapping the Colonials

RMU has dropped their last six contests and most recently was swept by Wright State (13-4, 11-3) last weekend. Senior forward AJ Bramah did not play against the Raiders after he was “on pause for the weekend,” according to a university official. All records show that Bramah will be dressed this weekend against the Penguins.

Last Friday, RMU stuck with Wright State the whole way, dropping the game by a score of 79-70. Multiple players helped guide the Colonials’ offense as four different players reached double-figures in points in Friday’s loss to the Raiders.

Without Bramah, the team was extremely undersized and it cost the Colonials both games this weekend. Grant Basile, a 6’9″ sophomore, put up 29 points Saturday night for the Raiders; after being held to just seven points the night before, Loudon Love scored a career-high 34 points in the winning effort.

Scouting the Penguins

It has been a rough ride for Youngstown State in conference play as the Penguins have dropped six of their past seven games. Last weekend, they fell to Detroit Mercy (6-8, 5-5) losing 78-75 Friday and 77-72 on Saturday.

Players to Watch

Kam Farris (RMU) – Farris has emerged as one of the top players in the Robert Morris freshman class. The Burlington, Vermont native is averaging an impressive nine points-per-game and is shooting 54-percent from the field. Farris has reached double figures in three of his past four games. He looks to continue that trend this weekend against the Penguins.

Kahliel Spear (RMU) – Spear scored a season-high 18 points in the loss to the Raiders last Friday night. Along with his recent success, the transfer from Bucknell is averaging eight points and four rebounds-per-game. Look for Spear to have another impressive game especially with Bramah coming off of a weekend-long pause.

Naz Bohannon (YSU) – After Penguins star junior guard Darius Quisenberry went down with an injury early in the season, somebody needed to step up for the Penguins, and that man was Naz Bohannon. The senior forward is leading the team in points (16.7) and rebounds (8.4) and contributing key minutes for YSU. The Colonials will have to be wary of Bohannon down low this weekend.

Garrett Covington (YSU) – Covington has played a significant role in the Penguins’ offense this year averaging 11 points and four rebounds. He has hit double figures in five of the last six ball games. The Colonials will have to make sure they keep an eye on Covington to neutralize his offensive scoring ability.

With both teams essentially in a must-win scenario, both will be hungry for a win. Last week it seemed like the Colonials were turning a corner in their season. With that being said, I believe that the Colonials will be able to pull off the two-game sweep.