PREVIEW: Men’s hockey looks to bounce back against Mercyhurst

Men’s hockey hosts Mercyhurst on Saturday night. Photo Credit: Nathan Breisinger

By Samuel Goldberg, Contributor

NEVILLE TOWNSHIP– The Robert Morris men’s hockey team (11-5, 9-3-1 AHA) will take to the ice tomorrow night as they look to get out of the two-game skid they are in as they take on a familiar foe in Mercyhurst (6-6-1, 5-3-1-2) at 7:35 p.m.

Recapping Robert Morris

For Robert Morris, the last two games they played have been against Mercyhurst and they have lost those two games by scores of 3-2 and 7-5. The Colonials will look to get back in the right direction with a win at home. The Colonials have been thriving on home cooking this season as they have one of the best home records at 7-2.

Robert Morris is off to arguably one of their best starts in the history of the school’s program. They are currently tied for first place in the Atlantic Hockey Association with 26 points. They are tied with American International, hoping that a solid series this weekend can break the tie. The Colonials are getting some great play from their freshman class that is led by Randy Hernandez and Noah West.

Scouting Mercyhurst

Mercyhurst had a pit stop on the road at RIT last Thursday before this matchup against RMU, and in that game would skate to a 6-4 loss. Both teams are looking to rebound and get back into the win column and shake off the last two games.

Players to Watch

Randy Hernandez (RMU) – Hernandez is leading the charge for the freshman class and his skills have been on full display so far in his young career at RMU. He currently has 17 points and really controls the puck well and has a high hockey I.Q., making phenomenal plays and setting up other players with 11 assists.

Noah West (RMU) – West has been a brick wall so far in his first campaign as a Colonial. He is 7-3 as a starter with a goals-against-average at an impressive 2.63 and a .920 save percentage. He will look to continue his great start with a win tomorrow.

Gueorgui Feduolov (Hurst) – Feduolov has 12 points on the season with four goals and eight assists. The sophomore from Mentor, Ohio has been one of the better Lakers this season. Look for him to be aggressive in the game as he works really well in space. The Colonials need to focus on shutting down the middle of the ice so Fedoulov can not get to his sweet spot in the middle of the ice. The Colonials need to shut him down so they can control the defensive zone.

Carson Brière (Hurst) – Brière, a freshman, has been the offensive leader for the Lakers this season, racking up 16 points in 12 games. The deadly duo of Feduolov and Brière needs to be controlled for the Colonials to pick up a win in this game.

For the Colonials to win this game, they really need to limit their turnovers and need to control the ice. They need to make Mercyhurst play to them, not the other way around. RMU needs to control the flow of the game and play its brand of hockey. If they can do that, they will defend home ice and come out with a 3-1 win and get back in the winning column. It will be a great battle to watch as it will most certainly be a back-and-forth matchup.