Kevin Plowcha April 16, 2024

Sol Castro named Horizon League Women’s Basketball Freshman of the Week

Sol Castro was named Horizon League Freshman of the Week. Photo Credit: Nick Hedderick

Robert Morris women’s basketball (2-8, 2-8 Horizon) recorded their first two wins of the season over the weekend and first-ever victories in Horizon League play, due in large part to the program’s rising freshman star.

Sol Castro has been recognized as the Horizon League Women’s Basketball Freshman of the Week after posting her breakout series at home against Wright State.

The Raiders had no answers for Castro as she became the first RMU freshman to record 20 or more points in back-to-back contests since Honoka Ikematsu did so during the 2017-18 season. She averaged 21.5 points and 8.0 rebounds on the weekend, guiding the Colonials to a much needed offensive boost the team was lacking before the rematch with Wright State.

Castro led the team with 23 points and 11 rebounds on Friday, both career highs, in the team’s 50-43 victory, and 20 points and five boards on Saturday, clinching a 68-65 RMU win.

The forward from Rio Colorado, Argentina has provided a spark to the Colonials’ starting lineup, leading the team in points (9.2), blocks-per-game (0.4), and qualified field goal percentage (43.7%) while placing second in rebounding (4.2).

Robert Morris returns to the court this weekend for a two-game set hosting Youngstown State on Friday at 7 p.m. and concluding on Saturday at 5 p.m., with Castro once again leading the charge for Robert Morris.