Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Photo credit: Cam Wickline
TJ Wainwright Enters Transfer Portal
Kevin PlowchaApril 16, 2024

On Tuesday afternoon, reporter George Michalowski announced that Robert Morris men's basketball guard TJ Wainwright has entered the transfer portal. Wainwright is the fifth...

Softball announces 2021 conference schedule

Softball announced their 2021 schedule. Photo Credit: Jonathan Hanna

On Friday, Robert Morris softball announced their conference schedule for the 2021 spring season. The 40-game conference schedule features predominantly weekend (Friday-Saturday) doubleheaders with RMU having 22 home games and 18 road games for the season.

The Colonials will start their season at home against Detroit Mercy, taking on the Titans on March 12-13. These two teams last faced off in 2015 at the Miami (Ohio) Invitational with the Colonials taking both games for a 2-0 all-time record.

They will then travel to Green Bay for another back-to-back set on March 19-20, facing the Phoenix for the first time since 2008. RMU beat them 3-2 on March 15, 2008, at the Orlando Rebel Games.

They return home to face a familiar opponent in Cleveland State for a single-day midweek doubleheader on March 23. The Colonials and Vikings are no stranger to one another, facing off 37 times in their history and 17 times since 2007. The Vikings have eked out a 23-14 record all-time against the Colonials. They’ll travel to Cleveland State on May 7-8 to close out their season.

Continuing on the homestand, Oakland travels to Moon Township on March 26-27. These teams have faced off once before, taking on each other in the Miami Invitational on March 15, 2015. RMU took the game 3-0.

The Colonials will begin a road swing on April 2-3, traveling to Purdue-Fort Wayne. These programs will face off for the first time. They will then travel to Northern Kentucky on April 6 for a midweek doubleheader, a program they saw in 2017 and 2018. The teams last matched up on March 9, 2018, at the Under Armour Showcase. The Norse took that game 6-5. The Colonials and Norse will face off again on April 30-May 1.

Following that, they will split time at home and on the road, getting set for a clash with UIC on April 9-10, a team they have not faced since 1997. The teams have played to a 2-2 record all-time.

The next weekend, April 16-17, they will head to IUPUI for the first time since March 14, 2003, a game they thrashed the Jaguars 9-2.

Softball will return home to take on another familiar foe, this time in the Youngstown State Penguins, on April 23-24. The Colonials and Penguins have taken on each other 41 times in program history with the Colonials holding a 28-23 edge.

They will close their season at home for their penultimate series with Northern Kentucky before traveling to Cleveland State to cap off the conference campaign.

Softball is looking to get a full season under their belt in a new conference after they were not able to play the conference season last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The team had played to an 8-11 non-conference record in showcases before they were set to return home for three more non-conference games, including one against new Horizon League opponent Cleveland State.

Returning seniors Natalie Higgins and Madison Riggle will look to continue to cement their legacies as Colonials. The team also has one true senior in Alaina York who will look to continue her play as an elder member of the team. The team added eight freshmen to the roster as well who will look to make their mark this season.

The team is still looking for non-conference games and showcases to add, so stay tuned to Colonial Sports Network for updates regarding softball’s schedule.