#FormerColonialWatch: Sean Giles joins SPHL’s Knoxville Ice Bears

Sean Giles shakes Blake Christensen of AIC’s hand. Giles signed with Knoxville of the SPHL this week. Photo Credit: Garret Roberts

KNOXVILLE, Tenn.– Former Robert Morris men’s hockey defenseman Sean Giles was gearing up to play for the Cincinnati Cyclones this season after signing with them in late September. However, that all changed when the Cyclones organization decided to opt-out of the 2020-21 season in December.

With Cincinnati no longer an option this season, Giles signed a Standard Player Contract with the Knoxville Ice Bears. The announcement came on Wednesday via the team’s Twitter.

Giles will return to the ice after being a reliable option on the blue-line for the Colonials throughout his career.

The 6’1” defenseman blocked 179 shots during his collegiate career, along with 75 in his senior year.

While he was stout defensively, Giles also provided on offense for RMU as he contributed 25 points for the Colonials during his tenure.

The Ice Bears are a member of the Southern Professional Hockey League. They are four-time President’s Cup winners in the league with the most recent title coming in 2014-15. Last year Knoxville finished with a record of 26-15-5.