Men’s basketball’s matchup against West Virginia University cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns

Andy Toole and the rest of the Colonials will have to wait to play their next game after their game against West Virginia tonight was canceled due to COVID violations. Photo credit: David Auth

MOON TOWNSHIP, PA– Men’s basketball (1-0) was scheduled to play the West Virginia Mountaineers (4-1) Wednesday night in Morgantown, West Virginia, but the game was canceled due to a break in COVID-19 protocols within the Robert Morris program late last night.

The game against the Mountaineers was supposed to be the Colonials’ second non-conference game and the first Division I opponent of the season for RMU after they defeated NAIA Division II Point Park University on Saturday night by a score of 75-57. This would have been the last non-conference game on the Colonials’ schedule before their inaugural Horizon League competition begins next weekend against Cleveland State University on December 19 and 20 at the UPMC Events Center.

That series is now in jeopardy after the recent events that occurred within the RMU program but as of now, no decision has been made to cancel or postpone the first conference tilt of the season.

There also has been no announcement from the university’s athletic department on whether the program will be put on pause once again due to COVID-19 concerns.

If forced to shut down again, this would be the second time the Colonials have been shut down after being put on pause on November 18 due to Coronavirus concerns. The Colonials had just returned to practice last Wednesday after a two-week absence.

To keep track of this developing situation, follow @RMU_CSN on Twitter for all of the latest information regarding the men’s basketball team.