Softball adds six recruits to program

Softball welcomed six new players for next season. Photo Credit: Megan Frey

Alexis Davis

MOON TOWNSHIP– The Robert Morris softball team added six new players to their program on Tuesday.

The 2021 recruiting class includes five student-athletes that signed National Letters of Intent (NLI) and also a player who inked to a scholarship agreement. The new recruiting class includes a catcher, two infield players, two outfielders, and a utility player.

Bailee Bertani is a catcher from Norwin, PA. Bertani plays for both Team Pennsylvania and the Ohio Outlaws travel-ball teams. She also has experience playing in the outfield and played her high school ball for the Norwin Knights. In 2019, she hit .408 and led the team with 28 runs batted in. She scored 22 runs in 2019, along with five doubles, three triples, and four home runs. Bertani helped Norwin record a 13-8 (.619) record and advance to the WPIAL Class 6A semifinals. Bertani was also named a 2019 Westmoreland Softball Second Team All-Star.

Anna Resnik is also a member of both Team Pennsylvania and the Ohio Outlaws travel teams. The infielder from Elizabeth, PA helped Elizabeth Forward qualify for the WPIAL Class 4A championship her freshman year and win it all in 2019 as a sophomore. Resnik was named to the Mon Valley Independent Dirty Dozen Softball Team for EF in both 2018 and 2019. She’s lettered every year in high school in soccer, basketball, and softball.

Madison DeVault, from Dover, Ohio, plays for the USA Elite 2 Travel Squad. The pitcher was a two-year letter winner at Dover High School. She also has experience playing in both left field and right field. DeVault earned All-Eastern District Second Team honors her sophomore year.

Jess Matheny, an outfielder from Connellsville, PA, is one of RMU is another strong recruit. A member of the Ohio Outlaws, Matheny hit .336 in the summer of 2020 for the team, registering eight doubles, three home runs, and 25 RBI. She holds the record for most victories for a starting pitcher at Southmoreland. She also earned all-team section honors as both a freshman and sophomore and helped lead the Scotties to a 2018 WPIAL Championship.

Logan Black is a utility player from Gilbertsville, PA. A member of the Newton Rock-Hutchins travel team, she helped the team post a record of 23-8-2 in the summer of 2020. She recorded a .355 batting average and a .460 on-base percentage for The Rock in the fall of 2020. Black also earned ALL-PAC-10 Team honors her freshman and sophomore year.

Alaina Koutsogiani is the last member of the Colonials 2021 recruitment class. The Peters Township, PA native plays in both the infield and outfield. She is a four-year starter as a member of the 18U showcase team for Team Pennsylvania. She holds the record for both single-season (88) and career (172) stolen bases. Koutsogiani is also a member of the track & field team at Peters Township. She has competed in two WPIAL championships for both the 200-meter dash and the 4×100-meter relay.

The Colonials are preparing for their first season in the Horizon League after joining earlier this summer.

To stay up to date on all things softball and Robert Morris athletics, be sure to visit the CSN home page and follow @RMU_CSN on Twitter.