#FormerColonialWatch: Yannis Mendy Returns to France, signs with Avignon-Le Pontet

Yannis Mendy will return to France to continue his basketball career. Photo Credit: David Auth

Ethan Morrison, Contributor

Just months after senior forward Yannis Mendy graduated from Robert Morris University, it was announced early Friday morning that he has signed with Union Sportive Avignon-Le Pontet, a member of the French Nationale Masculine 1 (NM1) league.

Mendy started his career in his homeland, France, where he played for STB Le Havre’s U21 team, playing 51 games from 2014-16, averaging around 6.5 PPG and 5 RPG.

Mendy began his collegiate and North American career in Missouri; playing for Missouri State-West Plains, averaging 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds in his sophomore season, leading to a transfer to Robert Morris where Mendy solidified himself as a member of the Colonials frontcourt in his two seasons with the team, averaging 7.2 points per game and 4.3 rebounds per game at Robert Morris.

A native of Metting, France, Mendy returns to his homeland after averaging 8.6 PPG and 4.7 RPG in his senior season while helping the Colonials secure their first Northeast Conference Championship since 2015, including a 12-point effort in the championship game against Saint Francis.

His career-high in points came against Geneva College on November 27, 2019, when he logged 15 points. Mendy’s career-high 15 rebounds came in a game against Hood College on December 29, 2018.

In the 2019-2020 campaign, Avignon-Le Pontet finished fifth in NM1 Group B standings, posting an overall record of 16-10 in the regular season.