Track and field takes home female student-athlete award

Coming off of her personal best in the five kilometer course, sophomore Marissa Polk earned herself the Robert Morris Student-Athlete of the Week award with her performance at the Buffalo Stampede last weekend in her 2012 debut.

Her award now puts her reigning total to three student-athlete of the week honors.

“The Buffalo meet went pretty well, as a team we did great. Everybody PR’d (hit a personal record) and we all felt good during the race,” said Polk.

In the debut of the five kilometer race, Polk posted a time of 18:08.0, which was her best time in the event. Also, that time stands alone as the second-fastest time in the event in Robert Morris history.

“I felt great during the race, usually I can tell from the beginning if you start out too fast or not, but the coach is always right. I try to follow his advice and not start out super-fast and it worked throughout the race,” the Pittsburgh, PA native said.

Last year, Polk was named the freshmen of the year in 2012 and she is hoping the improvement doesn’t stop there.

“Winning freshmen of the year last year was a great accomplishment and this year I just hope to keep working hard and improve from last year.”