Preview: Colonials look to use momentum to pick up a win at home

Photo Credit: David Auth

Delenn Poe, Contributor

MOON TOWNSHIP– The Robert Morris women’s soccer team (2-3-1) comes back to play on their home field against the Yale Bulldogs (3-2) on Sunday at 11 a.m. at the North Athletic Complex. The Colonials won their last game against the Ohio Bobcats (5-1), and the result of that game was the Colonials coming out with the win. The Bulldogs’ last game was against the Fordham Rams (1-5-1) in which the Bulldogs won.

Recapping RMU

The game against the Bobcats was very close from the start, with neither scoring in the regulation. The game headed to overtime after neither team could score, after a scoreless overtime, the game headed to double overtime. The Colonials scored the goal of the game and got the win. The goal was scored by freshman forward Kayla Veloso-Lima who was assisted by freshman midfielder Colleen Sullivan. The star players for the Colonials were freshman Kayla Veloso-Lima and Colleen Sullivan for their goal to win the game for the Colonials. The star player for the Bobcats was the goalie, Sydney Malham, who had one goal allowed and one save.

Recapping Yale

The Bulldogs started their last game off by scoring two goals in the first half. Their defense was able to hold their opponents in check. Yale held onto the lead and won the game by a score of 2-0. The star players of this game for the Bulldogs were freshman forward/midfielder Ellery Winkler, who scored the first goal, then junior forward Mia Grillo scored the second goal of the game. The star players for Fordham were junior midfielders Saige Bingman and Maura Holst

Players to Watch

Kayla Veloso-Lima, Robert Morris

As a freshman, Kayla Veloso-Lima has little experience in playing collegiate soccer but she has already made a big impact on this team early in the season. She had one goal and two assists this season so far.

Sheridan Reid, Robert Morris

Sheridan Reid has the most goals on the team with three, and she is just a freshman. She had only three shots on goal and has converted on all of them. Even though her collegiate career is just starting, she has already made a name for herself on the team.

Ellery Winkler, Yale

As a junior, Ellery Winkler has the experience to lead the team to victory. She had the second-most goals on the team with three and the most assists with three as well. She is a big threat to any team she faces not just offensively, but mentally.

Aerial Chavarin, Yale

As one of the only seniors on the team, Aerial Chavarin leads the team in goals with four, but she also has the most time on the field as well.

I think the Bulldogs will take this game against the Colonials. The final score will be 3-0. The Colonials head back to Ohio to face the Akron Zips (2-4) on Thursday, September 19, at 7 p.m.