Colonials take down Golden Griffins

Sam Goldberg, Contributor

MOON TOWNSHIP– Today they RMU women’s soccer team (1-2-1, 0-0) took on the Canisius Golden Griffins (1-2-0, 0-0). This matchup looked good on paper, and this match not disappoint. Both teams wanted this win badly and both gave everything they had.

The first half started out fast and furious, as both teams came out of the gates with four shots each. Despite the chances, neither side could convert. Canisius then had a chance where they did score but were offsides. Also on that play, starting goalkeeper Julia Schmid went down as she twisted her ankle on the muddy pitch. So in stepped backup goalkeeper Sydney Bruckner. RMU had several chances to score in the first half but just could not convert. For Canisius, they scored in the 38th minute after a goal from Alicia Larsson Vahlberg.

In the second half, it was all RMU. The Colonials were able to score three times. Two goals were scored by Sheridan Reid. She had two very big goals in the game. Also, Nicolette Casarcia buried her first career goal on a shot from 30 yards out. She stated, “I am super relieved that I could get my first career goal, and even though I am not scoring, the freshmen have definitely stepped up and filled their roles.” Those goals came in the 47th, 60th and 75th minute. RMU looked very good the whole second half. The back-line was tight and everyone communicated together to get the comeback win.

After the game, head coach John Kowalski stated, “It was a very good win for us and I am a little relieved that we got our first win, but we need to focus on getting the ball through the back-line and finish our chances.” Sheridan Reid also offered some comments, stating, “I am pretty happy with how I played, and I think that the team played very well as a whole. I feel really good that my goals led us to the victory but I could not have done it without my teammates.” The comments from players are always supportive and show that they all have a team mentality. RMU will take on Howard this Friday (1-0).