Matthew Gonzalez on TD record: “It feels good”

Photo credit: David Auth

Samuel Anthony, Digital Content Manager

MOON TOWNSHIP — When Robert Morris tight end Matthew Gonzalez pulled down the three-yard touchdown from Jimmy Walker, he became the first Colonial to ever score 11 touchdowns in a single season, breaking the school record with still three games yet to play.

“I’m not gonna lie it feels good,” said Matthew Gonzalez. “It’s definitely a goal I had set for myself coming in here. Coming from last season, I only had one touchdown and coming here into this season with almost 11, actually exactly 11, it feels really good doing it.”

But despite setting the record, for Gonzalez, winning football games still comes first.

“Well we were down at the time, so my reaction was I didn’t really care at the moment because we were down and I was just trying to win the game,” said Gonzalez. “But when I came to the sideline, everyone was giving me handshakes, congratulating me and all that and it felt pretty good.”

Gonzalez has been the biggest highlight in what has been overall a lackluster season for RMU football. Not only is Gonzalez by the far the best tight end in the conference, but he is also currently one of the best tight ends in the entire country. Gonzalez currently ranks second among tight ends in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) of NCAA D-1 football with 529 receiving yards. Gonzalez has also scored more touchdowns than any other tight end and is second among all pass catchers in the country.

Only a junior, Gonzalez will bring his high-powered pass-catching ability to the team next year. Sensational running back duo in Alijah Jackson and Terence Stephens, breakout receiver Anthony Dellefemine and an offensive line filled with juniors and sophomores will also be returning next year. What this displays for Robert Morris, is a limitless future for an offense that has the potential to become the best in the Northeast Conference.

Gonzalez looks to now cement himself as the greatest single-season receiver in the history of Robert Morris football with three games left to play in the season. This upcoming weekend, the Colonials take on the Sacred Heart Pioneers who currently lead the Northeast Conference.