Preview: Home teams look for wins with family in town

October 26, 2018

As Family Weekend approaches, the Colonials gear up to please the home crowd and hope to bring home a win. Here is a quick preview of all the games that are home this weekend.

Football

Saturday, Oct. 27th at 12:00 p.m.

The Robert Morris University football team (2-5, 0-3 NEC) will take on the Saint Francis Red Flash (2-5, 0-2 NEC) this weekend. In the Colonial’s last game, they won by the score of 49-45 on October 20 against the Central State Marauders (3-5, 1-3 SIAC). The Red Flash’s last game, on October 20, resulted in a 27-20 loss against the Duquesne Dukes (5-3, 2-1 NEC).

The Colonials are led by senior quarterback Jimmy Walker, who has 1366 passing yards, 14 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Walker has completed 99 of 170 pass attempts. The Colonials are also led by redshirt freshman running back Ajiah Jackson. Jackson leads the Colonials with 568 yards rushing, and in addition to this, he also leads the team with five touchdowns on the ground.

The Red Flash are led by quarterback Bear Fenimore who has 121 completed passes in 215 attempts, 15 touchdowns and three interceptions. The Red Flash also have senior Kamron Lewis at wide receiver. He leads the team with 557 receiving yards and four touchdowns.

Be sure to come back later and check out writer Nick Hedderick‘s in-depth football preview.

Men’s Hockey

Friday, Oct. 26th 7:00 p.m. and Saturday, Oct. 27th at 7:00 p.m.

The men’s hockey team (1-2-1, 0-1-1 AHC) hosts the RIT Tigers (2-1) this weekend. The Colonials last took on Army (2-2-1, 1-0-1 AHC) on Friday, Oct. 19 and Oct. 20. The first game resulted in a tie 2-2, but the second game went to the Knights by a score of 5-2. The last game the Tigers played was on Oct. 20 against Colgate (2-1) and the Tigers won by the score of 6-1.

The Colonials are led by Freshmen forward Justin Addamo who is tied with Alex Tonge in goals with two and assists with two. Addamo leads the team with one power-play goal in three shot attempts. Senior forward Alex Tonge leads the team in game-winning goals with one and has 11 shots on the season far.

The Tigers are led by senior forward Abbott Girduckis. He leads the team in goals with two and assists with four. He also has the team’s only shorthand goal, and he had six shots on the season. The Tigers also have senior forward Gabe Valenzuela who leads the team in game winning goals with one. He leads the team in power play goals with two, and he has six shots on the season.

Women’s Hockey

October 26th 3:05 p.m. and October 27th 1:05 p.m.

The Colonials (3-5, 1-1) take on the Lindenwood Lions (1-5, 0-2). The Colonials last game was against Mercyhurst Lakers (3-5, 3-1) on October 19 and 20. The Lakers took the first game 4-2, and the Colonials took the second game 5-1. The Lions last game was against Syracuse University (2-4, 2-2). Syracuse took the first game by a score of 5-4 in overtime and they also took the second game by a score of 6-3.

The Colonials are led by junior forward Jaycee Gebhard. She leads the team in goals with four and in assists with six. Gebhard also leads the team in power-play goals with two. She is tied with fellow teammates Natalie Marcuzzi and Kirsten Welsh with one game-winning goal. Welsh leads the team in shots with 34 and has three goals on the season.

The Lions are led by sophomore forward Sierra Burt who leads the team in goals with three and in assists with four. Burt is tied with fellow teammates Nicole Guagliardo and Hannah Alt with one power-play goals each. Burt also has the only game-winning goal of the season so far. Junior forward Taylor Girard has the team’s only shorthand goal, is second in shots with six and in goals with two, Girard and Burt are tied with four assists.

Women’s Soccer

October 27th at 3:00 p.m.

The Colonials (5-12, 3-4) take on the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds (2-12-3, 0-6-1 NEC) on Senior Night this Saturday. The Colonials last game was October 21 against the Sacred Heart Pioneers (4-13, 2-5 NEC) in which the Colonials took the game 2-1. The Blackbirds last game was on October 21 when they took on the Bryant Bulldogs (8-6-1, 4-2-1 NEC).

The Colonials are led by senior forward/midfielder Jane Schleicher. She leads the team with 11 goals, 61 shots on the season, 41 shots on goal and four game-winning goals. Sydney Bruckner, a sophomore goalkeeper, leads the team with eight saves and has two shutouts on the season.

The Blackbirds are led by sophomore midfielder Marian Awad. She leads the team with seven goals, 53 shots, 33 shots on goal and two successful penalty kicks in two attempts. Megan Virgin, a sophomore goalkeeper, leads the team with seven saves and is tied with fellow goalkeeper Aline Allman with one shutout.