Wolverines pull away in defensive battle at Tiger Stadium

Preston Moore, Moon Sports Beat Writer

MOON TOWNSHIP– The Moon Tigers (2-7, 1-5) faced off against the Woodland Hills Wolverines (3-6, 2-4) at home this past Friday. The Moon Tigers struggled offensively and only managed to score points with their defense which ultimately led to their 20-10 defeat.

The Tiger defense came out swinging with a safety, provided by Brendan Luffey who was almost unblocked on his way to a sack, this gave the Tigers an early 2-0 lead. A series of three-and-outs by both teams followed the safety and the next score would not be seen until the end of the first quarter after Mike Roman caught a 13-yard receiving touchdown. The Wolverines took the lead making the score 7-2.

In the first minute of the second quarter, Sean Hytla ripped the ball out of William Clark’s hands and ran the ball into the end zone for a touchdown. The Tigers took back the lead with at 8-7. On a future drive, Dante Clay was taken out of the game after a late hit by Woodland Hills. This injury resulted in a stagnant offense who stood almost no chance against a great Wolverine defense. Freshman Tyler McGowan came in at quarterback for the injured Clay.

Moon’s defense shined once again on a blocked punt that resulted in yet another safety for the Tigers, as they extended their lead to 10-7. After two drives of going three-and-out, Moon started throwing in other Tigers at quarterback. Zack Jadlocki and Jamal Littlejohn assumed the position of quarterback throughout the game.

Woodland Hills took advantage of Moon’s unsuccessful offense and scored off of a 10-yard rushing touchdown from William Clark which allowed the Wolverines to regain the lead at 14-10. The next six series for both teams resulted in punts. No action on both sides occurred until the 2-minute mark in the fourth quarter. A 7-yard rushing touchdown from William Clark all but sealed the game for the Wolverines 20-10.

The Wolverines came out with a victory, as they won 20-10 in a conference battle. The Moon Tigers will play their last game of the season at home against a very good West Allegheny team.