RMU women’s basketball cracks Mid-Major Top 25 poll

Morgan Torchia

Forward Megan Smith is averaging 10.5 points per game this season for the Colonials.

Ian Kist

The Robert Morris women’s basketball team (9-0 NEC 16-4 overall), made the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 poll this week with a No. 24 ranking.

After defeating the Central Connecticut State Blue Devils Monday evening, 66-47 on home turf at the Student Recreation Center at the North Athletic Complex, the team finished a perfect 7-0 in the month of January.

Robert Morris is the only team in the Northeast Conference to be recognized with a top 25 ranking. RMU’s 7-0 month of January is the best record in a single month for the Colonials since the 2010 season when they had a perfect 8-0 month of February.

This is the second time Robert Morris has been ranked in the top 25. The team was ranked No. 24 in December of 2011.  

The Colonials’ defense has been at the forefront of their success this season. The Colonials have held six of their opponents below 50 points and rank No. 11 nationally in scoring defense, giving up an average of 54.7 points per game.

However, RMU’s offense has been stellar as well. Senior forward Megan Smith is scoring an average of 10.5 points per game, and sophomore center Nneka Eziegbo has been a force offensively — finishing with seven double-doubles this season.

The Colonials’ success can also be attributed to the play of freshmen on the team. Freshman Honoka Ikematau ranks second nationally in three-point percentage (48.9 percent).

The Colonials will head to Loretto, Pa. on Feb. 3 at 2 p.m. to battle the Saint Francis University Red Flash (8-1 NEC, 13-8 overall).