Men’s Hockey Roundup: RMU vs. Canisius

Josh Yose

Greg Gibson’s two goals helped his team secure the conference title Friday night on the road.

Ian Kist, Staff Reporter

February 26, 2016

RMU 6 (20-9-4, AHA 17-6-4), Canisius 3 (10-18-5, AHA 10-12-15): Robert Morris played their last road game Friday evening when they kicked off a home-and-home series against Canisius in Buffalo, New York. Sophomore Timmy Moore began the scoring for RMU when he found the back of the net early in the first period to give his team a 1-0 lead. However, Canisius scored consecutive goals to grab a 2-1 lead. Toward the end of the opening period, senior Greg Gibson tied the game, with assists coming from Zac Lynch and Matt Cope. Canisius scored an early goal within the first two minutes of the second period to give them a 3-2 advantage on the scoreboard, but RMU went on to score the game’s final four goals, allowed them to skate off victorious. Freshman Eric Israel and seniors Zac Lynch, Greg Gibson and David Friedmann were the Colonials that gave RMU the edge they needed to pull off the win on enemy ice. Senior goalie Terry Shafer received the win in net, making 30 total saves. The win for Robert Morris secured them the conference regular season title, their second in as many seasons.