Two interceptions against Dayton earns Richards Jr. NEC honors

Zach Laufer, Sports Editor

After a stellar game defensively for sophomore safety Ryan Richards Jr. week one versus Dayton, the Northeast Conference took notice, even if his team did not win because of it.

Richards was named the NEC Defensive Player of the Week, announced by the league yesterday. The young starter’s two first-half interceptions, six tackles (0.5 for a loss), and one pass breakup were worthy enough of the award only standout performances deserve.

With those two interceptions coming at key moments in the first half, Richards put the Colonials in prime position to separate themselves from the Flyers. Although Robert Morris surrendered 27 points to Dayton, Richards and the defense were only responsible for 20 of those, holding the opponent’s offense to just 293 yards and one scoring drive over 50 yards.

Richards’ two interceptions against Dayton doubled his previous total from his freshman campaign, giving him a career total of three. He is also on his way to demolishing his RMU freshmen-leading 40 tackles from 2014, having six already through the first game.

Richards looks primed to be the next defensive star for Robert Morris, and he will continue this quest Sept. 12 at Youngstown St., a team nationally ranked and also searching for win number one in 2015.