Weekend sports roundups

Ian Kist, Staff Reporter

Feb. 27

RMU 1 (21-7-5 AHA 18-5-4) Niagara 2 (5-24-4 AHA 5-18-4): Friday night in Lewiston, N.Y., the Colonials took on AHA foe Niagara. The final however, fell into the favor of Niagara, which scored the only goal in the first period to take the early lead. However, RMU tied the contest in the second period with a goal from junior Forward Greg Gibson. The goal turned out to be the Colonial’s only goal on the night. RMU could not put another puck past Niagara goalie Jackson Teichroeb but were able to keep the pressure going as the Colonials kept firing shots toward Teichroeb’s way. RMU sophomore goaltender Dalton Izyk received the loss but had a good showing as he faced 18 shots from the Purple Eagles.

Men’s Lacrosse:

Feb. 28

RMU 10 (0-4), High Point 13 (3-3): From Vert Stadium in High Point, N.C., the Colonials dropped their fourth straight loss in a close battle with High Point University Saturday afternoon. RMU received two goal performances from Junior James Rahe, Junior Luke Laszkiewicz, and Freshman Carter Yepsen. The first half consisted of back and forth action as it started with a High Point goal and then two goals from RMU by Rahe and Sean Doyle. High Point had a two-goal answer within seconds of each other but then RMU had answered to those goals with three of their own to go into the half with the lead. High Point went on a five-goal run, which gave them a lead late in the second half. RMU answered one of Laszkiewicz’s goals but High Point got another goal after that which sealed the deal. For them. Brett Case started in goal for the first time in his RMU career making 11 saves but then was replaced by Freshman Chase Rose with a little more than half to play in the second half.

Women’s Lacrosse:

Feb. 28

RMU (2-1), Howard 5 (0-2): From Washington D.C. at Greene Stadium, the Colonials picked up their first road win of the season, which was a 19-point road win. Senior Midfielder Kristin Yovienne had a senior performance as she recorded four goals and 7 points and improved her points total to 23 on the season. RMU received great offensive performances from all around Saturday. Brittany Byerly had four goals to join Yovienne as well. Emily Jamison was not far behind in total goals scored as she had three goals of her own. Byerly and Jamison both finished with five points. RMU goalies, Mackenzie Duffy and Hallie Yancey both saw even playing time during the game. Robert Morris 41-15 outshot Howard.

Softball: Green and White Tournament:

Feb. 28

RMU 1 (6-4), Kent State 5 (6-2): Robert Morris opened their play in the Greene and White Tournament in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Saturday with a result they did not want against Kent State. Senior Outfielder Tess Apke brought in RMU’s only Run of the day in the Sixth inning of play. RMU received hits from Jordan Gurganus who had two, Kristen Gabelt, Alexis Schartzmiller, and Haileigh Stocks. Nicole Slieth started for RMU. Sleith went six innings, gave up five runs (two earned), Struck out seven and did not give a free base. Sleith moved to 4-3 on the season.

RMU 8 (7-4), St. Bonaventure 5 (1-5): the Colonials continued their play in Myrtle Beach S.C. as they were victorious against St. Bonaventure in their second game Saturday. Unlike in their game against Kent State, RMU put up a good amount of offense as they scored eight runs. Robert Morris received multi-hit showings from Kristen Gabelt (3), Jordan Gurganus (2), Ashley Gerhart (2), and Olivia Lorusso (2).RMU had a big second inning where they scored the chunk of their runs putting up 6 total. RMU totaled 14 hits, which was their most since April 2013. Haileigh Stocks (4-3) picked up the victory for the Colonials ash she replaced starting pitcher Nicholette Maderitz.

Mar. 1

RMU 0 7-5, Charlotte 1 (6-4): In their third game in the Greene and White Tournament, RMU kicked off their Sunday with a 1-0 loss to Charlotte. RMU received a two hit game from Kristen Gabelt and got one hit performances from Jordan Gurganus, Tess Apke, and Olivia Lorusso. RMU finished the game with five hits bur could not push single run over the plate. Nicole Sleith was in the circle for the Colonials Sunday. Sleith went seven innings with her only run she gave up being an un-earned run. Sleith also struck out 12 Charlotte hitters while walking three batters. Sleith moved to 4-4 on the season

RMU 4 (7-6), Charlotte 5 (7-4): The Colonials finished play in the Greene and White Tournament in Myrtle Beach S.C. with Their second loss of the day to Charlotte, losing 5-4. RMU received two RBI’s from Senior Tess Apke and and two more RBI’s from Ashley Gerhart and Kristen Gabelt who both finished with one each. It was Apke’s fourth multi-hit game of the season. Sophomore Jordan Gurganus and Apke both led RMU in total hits with hits each. Gurganus improved her multi-hit games to six so far this young season. Robert Morris saw two pitchers Sunday afternoon as Haileigh Stocks and Nicole Sleith saw innings in the circle. Stocks gave up 4 runs, two of them being earned runs but Sleith gave up the winning run for Charlotte so she was given the loss making her season record 4-5.