Colonials complete season sweep of Mountaineers

Vince Russo, Staff Reporter

The Robert Morris University women’s basketball team scored the first five points Monday night and never looked back, dominating play on its way to a 68-44 victory over Northeast Conference rival Mount St. Mary’s.

The win earned RMU a season sweep of the Mountaineers, who lost to the Colonials by an almost identical 66-44 score in Moon Township on Jan. 3.

The Colonials (8-11, 6-2) continued their torrid shooting stretch, during which they have won five straight games, connecting on 25 of their 51 attempts (49%) including 11-of-22 from three point range (50%).

After the 5-0 spurt from the Colonials, the Mountaineers (7-12, 5-3) responded and nodded the score at eight. From that point on it was all Colonials, as they scored the next nine points and used a 26-4 run between the end of the first half and the start of the second to pull away.

While all 11 Colonials registered points on the score sheet, freshman Megan Smith led the scoring with 15, including 13 that came in the first 6:08 of the second half. Her contribution led to a 22-2 run that ultimately put the game out of reach for MSM.

Sophomore sharp shooter Rebeca Navarro chipped in with 13, which was complimented by her Spanish sophomore counterpart Judith Sole’s seven. This was the seventh time this season that 10 or more Colonials scored in the same game.

Robert Morris will return home next to host NEC leader Bryant (14-5, 7-1) on Jan. 31 for a battle for first place in the conference. The game is set to start at 1 p.m.