Robert Morris defeated by Colgate at home

Ian Kidd, Staff Reporter

Robert Morris women’s hockey fell to Colgate 6-3 Saturday afternoon at the 84 Lumber Arena.  RMU (1-4-0) outshot Colgate (1-1-0) 33-27, but a slow start plagued the Colonials as they went on to lose 6-3.

Robert Morris struggled from the first minute, giving up a goal to Colgate senior Miriam Drubel just 45 seconds into the game to take the lead 1-0. The score would remain that into the first intermission. It only took the Raiders 51 seconds into the second period to increase their lead 2-0 on a goal from Mellissa Kueber.

RMU sophomore Rikki Meilleur responded for the Colonials 39 seconds later with a Robert Morris goal,  making it a 2-1 deficit.

However, the Raiders would capitalize on the power play two minutes later to make the score 3-1 on a goal from Megan Sullivan at the 3:51 mark. Drubel then found the back of the net for her second goal to put Colgate up 4-1.

RMU forward Maddie Kolias scored towards the end of second period, off an assist from Jessica Gazzola. Any momentum Robert Morris amounted was taken away with a quick response from Colgate’s Sullivan, who beat goalkeeper Jessica Dodds with a power-play goal a minute later for her second score of the day.

Both team’s exchanged goals in the third period, and Robert Morris fell 6-3.

Poor defensive play kept Dodds busy all afternoon, creating an environment where it was impossible for the Colonials to ever  maintain a sustainable momentum.

Robert Morris will try to turn it around in round two tomorrow at the 84 Lumber Arena. Puck drop is slated for 3:05.